Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Crimson clover is one in every of my favorite herbs to have on hand. In case you exit into your yard within the spring and summer season, you’re prone to see it (relying on the place you reside).
Like many “weeds” around us, crimson clover has many well being advantages. I exploit it in teas, in cooking, and topically for pores and skin irritation.
Right here’s why crimson clover is one in every of my favourite pure treatments:
A Widespread Weed That’s A lot Extra
Crimson clover (Trifolium pratense) is a plant native to Europe and Asia however has been naturalized to develop in North America too. It’s additionally recognized by frequent names resembling Beebread, Cow Clover, and Meadow Clover.
Crimson clover is a member of the legume household. The crimson flowers are dried and used medicinally for a lot of conventional makes use of together with:
- most cancers
- whooping cough
- respiratory issues
- pores and skin inflammations, resembling psoriasis and eczema
- menopause signs
- osteoporosis and bone loss (used to enhance bone mineral density)
- cardiovascular well being (together with supporting blood stream, blood strain, wholesome levels of cholesterol, and avoiding blood clots)
Whereas not all of those makes use of have been backed by science (but!) many herbalists strongly imagine that crimson clover is useful for these points.
Crimson Clover Well being Advantages
There isn’t loads of definitive analysis on crimson clover’s conventional natural makes use of, however here’s what we do learn about the advantages of crimson clover.
Accommodates Necessary Vitamins
Crimson clover may be very excessive in calcium and in addition comprises chromium, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, and vitamin C. Moreover, crimson clover comprises a lot of isoflavones (a phytoestrogen), which might act like estrogen within the physique. This may be helpful for people who find themselves low in estrogen.
Crimson clover additionally has robust antioxidant properties, in line with a 2016 research. This makes crimson clover an ideal general herb to assist the physique.
Helps Cardiovascular Well being
Crimson clover has been used historically for its cardiovascular advantages, although the science is a bit unclear. A 2006 assessment discovered no good thing about crimson clover on cardiovascular well being.
Nevertheless, a research that got here out just a few months after this assessment discovered that crimson clover does appear to have a constructive impact on blood lipid ranges (excessive ldl cholesterol) and bone mineral density.
In one other research, crimson clover considerably lowered C-reactive protein, triglyceride, whole ldl cholesterol and LDL-cholesterol (“dangerous” ldl cholesterol”). Crimson clover additionally appeared to extend HDL-cholesterol (“good” ldl cholesterol).
We want extra analysis to make sure of crimson clover’s means to assist cardiovascular well being, however as a result of it’s been used historically used for generations with out dangerous negative effects, many really feel assured in attempting it.
Helps with Menopause Signs
One among crimson clover’s hottest makes use of is for symptoms of menopause like scorching flashes. Resulting from its phytoestrogen content material, it’s regarded as useful for low estrogen associated points.
Crimson clover can lower the frequency of scorching flashes and assist with vaginal dryness related to menopause in line with a 2016 systematic assessment. Extra analysis is required although, to seek out out if it helps with different menopause signs such as sexual function or sleeping points.
Most cancers Help
Crimson clover could also be useful as an addition to anticancer drugs. A 2019 assessment discovered that crimson clover had vital anti-tumor properties and that it acted synergistically with anti-cancer drugs.
Moreover, in a 2009, researchers found that utilizing crimson clover lowered prostate-specific antigen (PSA). PSA is a protein discovered at elevated ranges in prostate most cancers sufferers.
Whereas it’s typically thought finest to keep away from any estrogenic herbs if one is coping with breast most cancers, some analysis exhibits that crimson clover will not be an issue. A 2011 research discovered that crimson clover, when used together with estradiol, acted as an estrogen antagonist (blocker). Extra data is required, however this analysis means that crimson clover might assist struggle breast most cancers in addition to different cancers.
Pores and skin Help
One among my favourite methods to make use of crimson clover is to assist assist wholesome pores and skin and scalp. I personally use it this fashion on rashes or different pores and skin points. In a 2011 research, researchers confirmed that crimson clover can enhance pores and skin and scalp.
Conventional Utilization of Crimson Clover
Crimson clover can be utilized in a variety of methods, however the way in which you select to make use of it is dependent upon what you’re utilizing it for. Listed here are some pointers for utilizing crimson clover:
- Tea – Crimson clover tea will be ingested to assist with cough, menopausal signs, and to get the nutritive advantages of this herb (see the model I exploit beneath).
- Tincture – Tinctures are finest whenever you need a extra concentrated product, resembling assist with menopausal signs or cardiovascular assist. Teas can work for these items as effectively however tinctures get extra of the medicinal properties into the physique rapidly.
- Poultice – A poultice of crimson clover can be utilized on pores and skin irritations like rashes, eczema, and different gentle pores and skin points. I like to combine crimson clover with calendula for its soothing properties.
- Capsules – you should use crimson clover capsules as effectively, which will get your entire herb into the physique. This helps you get the nutritive advantages in addition to the medicinal advantages if you happen to can’t tolerate tinctures.
Foraging for Crimson Clover
Search for the distinctive purple crimson clover blooms in spring. I’m not a foraging skilled by any means, however this site offers some useful steering.
What I Use
Is Crimson Clover Secure? Aspect Results
Crimson clover is mostly thought-about secure and there are not any severe negative effects. However as at all times it is best to ask a healthcare skilled earlier than utilizing this or any herb.
As a result of crimson clover comprises phytoestrogens, it’s not really helpful to be used by pregnant girls, or these fighting estrogen dominance situations. It’s additionally not really helpful to be used in these with breast, ovarian, or endometrial most cancers (although there was the research talked about above that contests this standpoint).
Crimson clover can also be not to be used:
- in these with liver issues.
- with contraceptive contraception drugs.
- in these on blood thinners (crimson clover could also be an anticoagulant).
At all times verify along with your physician earlier than beginning a brand new natural routine.
This text was medically reviewed by Dr. Scott Soerries, MD, Household Doctor and Medical Director of SteadyMD. As at all times, this isn’t private medical recommendation and we suggest that you just discuss along with your physician.
Have you ever ever used crimson clover dietary supplements? What did you employ it for?
- Esmaeili, A. Okay. et al (2015). Antioxidant Activity and Total Phenolic and Flavonoid Content of Various Solvent Extracts fromIn VivoandIn VitroGrownTrifolium pratenseL. (Crimson Clover). BioMed Analysis Worldwide, 2015, 1–11. doi: 10.1155/2015/643285
- Sales space, N. L. et al (2006). Clinical studies of red clover (Trifolium pratense) dietary supplements in menopause: a literature review. Menopause, 13(2), 251–264. doi: 10.1097/01.gme.0000198297.40269.f7
- Geller, S. E., & Studee, L. (2006). Soy and red clover for mid-life and aging. Climacteric, 9(4), 245–263. doi: 10.1080/13697130600736934
- Asgary, S. et al (2007). Effects of dietary red clover on blood factors and cardiovascular fatty streak formation in hypercholesterolemic rabbits. Phytotherapy Analysis, 21(8), 768–770. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2161
- Ghazanfarpour, M. et al (2015). Red clover for treatment of hot flashes and menopausal symptoms: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 36(3), 301–311. doi: 10.3109/01443615.2015.1049249
- Ong, S. Okay. L. et al (2019). Focus on Formononetin: Anticancer Potential and Molecular Targets. Cancers, 11(5), 611. doi: 10.3390/cancers11050611
- Mannella, P. et al (2011). Effects of red clover extracts on breast cancer cell migration and invasion. Gynecological Endocrinology, 28(1), 29–33. doi: 10.3109/09513590.2011.579660
- Lipovac, M. et al (2011). Effect of Red Clover Isoflavones over Skin, Appendages, and Mucosal Status in Postmenopausal Women. Obstetrics and Gynecology Worldwide, 2011, 1–6. doi: 10.1155/2011/949302
- Grey, N. E. et al (2009). Endocrine-Immune-Paracrine Interactions in Prostate Cells as Targeted by Phytomedicines. Most cancers Prevention Analysis, 2(2), 134–142. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.capr-08-0062