Ghanaian soccer player rescued after stranded in Mumbai airport for 74 days

Ghanaian soccer player rescued after stranded in Mumbai airport for 74 days

Randy Juan Muller, who turns 23 this week, flew to India on November 7 for a six-month contract to play Football for the ORPC Sports Club in Kerala, South India.

As the coronary pandemic spread, Muller booked the return flight to Ghana on March 30 a week before the flight, boarding a train to Mumbai.

“I heard about a possible closure in India … so I came to Mumbai to stay in a dormitory so as not to miss my flight,” Mueller said. When he arrived in Mumbai on March 21, he was low in liquidity and struggled to find a room.

“I didn’t know anyone (in Mumbai) so I saw some policemen and told them my story. They told me to go to the airport,” Mueller said.

Three days later, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 21-day closure nationwide.

All international arrival and departure flights have been canceled.

Paying the money, Muller decided to sleep in the departure hall of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport in Mumbai until the resumption of international flights. But the closure continued to extend.

“The people at the airport were very helpful. They gave me food and they helped me a lot,” Mueller said. One of the security guards even replaced his phone after it was damaged.

Muller called the Ghanaian consulate in Mumbai but said he was told that they could not do much during the closing period.

“I never felt anxious because I once knew that I was going to go home,” he says. “I tried to stay strong and excited … There are things in life that you cannot change.”

Muller’s ordeal Came to an end In early June, after he petitioned Twitter, at the suggestion of a security officer.

A local journalist who watched his tweets shared his appeal for help, and the state’s Minister of Tourism and Environment Aditya Thakrai, who is also president of the Mumbai Provincial Football Association, described it. Thackeray is also the son of state Prime Minister Uddhav Thackeray.

Within hours, Mueller was transferred from the airport to a hotel where he would stay until he could return home.

His football contract is now over, but his ordeal has not prevented him from returning to India.

He says, “I left home to feed the house.” “If I get another contract I would go back.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *